Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A new hobby

Click for larger view
I have just added a 1971 Datsun 240 Z to my project list.  I finally have the time, space, tools, money and an understanding wife that allow me to have a hobby car.  It appears to be in excellent condition - though not fully stock.  I was able to drive it home.  Closer inspection shows the body of the car to be solid, very little rust (in all the standard places), no accident damage.  Dealer-installed air conditioning.  L26 engine.  280Z hood.  Appears to have been well cared-for and no significant modifications.

I joined a local Z-owners club (Group Z).  The first meeting was already worth the $45 membership fee.  Their passion for the Z family of cars is pretty intense.  I spent an hour with one member looking over photos of the engine, underside, interior, and he gave me outstanding guidance on how to best enjoy this car.

The Plan:
  • New clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing (badly needed)
  • Drilled, slotted front disk rotors (stock calipers OK) and new pads
  • Stainless Steel braided brake lines
  • Complete flush of brake and clutch hydraulic fluid
  • Replace all the old rubber bushings with new urethane bushings
  • Replace the stock exhaust system (6 to 1 header with 2.5" matching exhaust system)
  • New wheels and tires
  • Drive the car, enjoy it, let the car tell me what it needs next.
I will take lots of photos as I go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment